Wednesday 21 August 2013

Waiting On Wednesday #39 - Shadows

Waiting On Wednesday, where we put the spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating, is hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine.

This week's choice is -

Shadows - Robin McKinley
ISBN - 9780399165795
Publisher - Nancy Paulsen Books
Expected release date - September 26th 2013
Find - Book Depository/Goodreads

'A compelling and inventive novel set in a world where science and magic are at odds, by Robin McKinley, the Newbery-winning author of The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword, as well as the classic titles Beauty, Chalice, Spindle’s End, Pegasus and Sunshine

Maggie knows something’s off about Val, her mom’s new husband. Val is from Oldworld, where they still use magic, and he won’t have any tech in his office-shed behind the house. But—more importantly—what are the huge, horrible, jagged, jumpy shadows following him around? Magic is illegal in Newworld, which is all about science. The magic-carrying gene was disabled two generations ago, back when Maggie’s great-grandmother was a notable magician. But that was a long time ago.

Then Maggie meets Casimir, the most beautiful boy she has ever seen. He’s from Oldworld too—and he’s heard of Maggie’s stepfather, and has a guess about Val’s shadows. Maggie doesn’t want to know . . . until earth-shattering events force her to depend on Val and his shadows. And perhaps on her own heritage.

In this dangerously unstable world, neither science nor magic has the necessary answers, but a truce between them is impossible. And although the two are supposed to be incompatible, Maggie’s discovering the world will need both to survive.'
- Goodreads


There are so many good books coming out that I want (but won't be buying, thanks Operation TBR!) that I'm sure I've missed lots of release dates that I meant to feature. Anyway, this is out in just over a month and it's by yet another favorite author of mine. I've already pre-ordered AND paid for this one so it's allowed under the stringent rules of OpTBR :)

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how I haven't heard of this. Robin McKinley writes some great fantasy. Thanks for sharing!

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this author, but I love this cover and the blurb is tempting. Enjoy!

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of this one, but I do like the sound of it :) Very interesting! Thanks for stopping by My WW!

    Janina

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's been a while since i read a book by robin mckinley. i didn't even know of this upcoming release so thanks for featuring it. it sounds great! adding it to my wishlist :)

    hope you can stop by my WoW.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh the cover looks creepy. I haven't heard of this one but it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

    My WOW: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/waiting-on-wednesday-better-spirits/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design