Wednesday 10 May 2017

Waiting On Wednesday #186 - The Memory Trees


Can't Wait Wednesday is a new weekly meme hosted here to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. Generally, they're books that have yet to be released as well. It's based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine
 
This week's choice is -


The Memory Trees - Kali Wallace 
ISBN - 9780062366238
Publisher - Katherine Tegen Books
Release date - October 10th, 2017

The Memory Trees is a dark magical realism novel about a mysterious family legacy, a centuries-old feud, and a tragic loss that resurfaces when sixteen-year-old Sorrow returns to her mother’s family orchard for the summer.

Sorrow Lovegood’s life has been shaped by the stories of the women who came before her: brave, resilient women who settled long ago on a mercurial apple orchard in Vermont. The land has been passed down through generations, and Sorrow and her family take pride in its strange history. Their offbeat habits may be ridiculed by other townspeople - especially their neighbors, the Abrams family - but for the first eight years of her life, the orchard is Sorrow’s whole world.

Then one winter night everything changes. Sorrow’s sister Patience is tragically killed. Their mother suffers a mental breakdown. Sorrow is sent to live with her dad in Miami, away from the only home she’s ever known.

Now sixteen, Sorrow’s memories of her life in Vermont are maddeningly hazy; even the details of her sister’s death are unclear. She returns to the orchard for the summer, determined to learn more about her troubled childhood and the family she left eight years ago. Why has her mother kept her distance over the years? What actually happened the night Patience died? Is the orchard trying to tell her something, or is she just imagining things?


Magical realism and trees? Two of the things guaranteed to make me interested in a book, along with that rather lovely cover... Bit of a cheat on this one as I now have an ARC which I'm hoping to get to soon!



10 comments:

  1. MAgical realism is a genre I haven't quite got int to, but goodness, this does sound brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Dark magical realism sounds right up my alley! I'm going to have to check this out! I hope you enjoy it :D

    Here's my can't-wait read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm this does sound interesting...different. Hope you enjoy it. Have a great week!

    CWW
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide on this one. Just saw it on Edelweiss yesterday. Love the cover though. Great pick!
    Check out my CWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, Kali Wallace... that names sounds familiar. She wrote Shallow Graves? I've not read the book but I remember seeing it around last year. I like the magical realism trend happening in YA. :D I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Fi. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this sounds so interesting! This sounds like it is right up my alley, so I will definitely be adding to my TBR. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...this sounds like an interesting read! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely interesting! Hope you enjoy reading it!
    Here's my Can't Wait Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really unique and interesting! Hope you enjoy :)

    Here's my WoW

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I TBRed this a while back. It sounds so good, and I have been loving all the magical realism books I've read lately. Great pick!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design