Wednesday 30 April 2014

Waiting On Wednesday #74 - City of Stairs

Waiting On Wednesday, where we put the spotlight on upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating, is hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine.

This week's choice is -

 City of Stairs - Robert Jackson Bennett
ISBN - 9780804137171
Publisher - Broadway Books
Expected release date - September 9th 2014
Find - Goodreads/Book Depository

A densely atmospheric and intrigue-filled fantasy novel of living spies, dead gods, buried histories, and a mysterious, ever-changing city-from one of America's most acclaimed young SF writers.

'Years ago, the city of Bulikov wielded the powers of the Gods to conquer the world. But after its divine protectors were mysteriously killed, the conqueror has become the conquered; the city's proud history has been erased and censored, progress has left it behind, and it is just another colonial outpost of the world's new geopolitical power. Into this musty, backward city steps Shara Divani. Officially, the quiet mousy woman is just another lowly diplomat sent by Bulikov's oppressors. Unofficially, Shara is one of her country's most accomplished spymasters-dispatched to investigate the brutal murder of a seemingly harmless historian. As Shara pursues the mystery through the ever-shifting physical and political geography of the city, she begins to suspect that the beings who once protected Bulikov may not be as dead as they seem-and that her own abilities might be touched by the divine as well.'
- Goodreads


I'm not quite sure how I came across this one but the cover pulled me in closely followed by the story. I'll definitely be looking out for this in September!

5 comments:

  1. That is a pretty awesome cover. And it sounds amazing too.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imposing cover! Hope you love the book, and thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “SCARED SCRIPTLESS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover. Plus the book sounds amazing. I really enjoy high fantasy books. I'm going to put this one on my list of books to get in the fall.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover definitely is impressive! I was just momentarily terrified by the mental image of a city in which all elevators had been removed and there were only stairs! That would be hell! I haven't read a proper spy novel in ages, but this mix with SF sound pretty good!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    My WoW
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this book now! I love mythology and fantasy is quickly becoming my favorite genre. Great pick I will be checking this out for sure!!!!!
    Here's my WoW http://bookstothetea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design