Tuesday 30 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #17 - Favorite Beginnings/Endings

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is -

Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books

So this is an interesting one!  I sat for hours trying to remember books with beginnings and/or endings that I had loved and came up with the following list, in no particular order.


"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." - I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith

"Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversation?'" - Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." - Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

"All was well." - Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling

"Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love." - The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater

"A Last Note from Your Narrator: I am haunted by humans" - The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

"It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful." - Matilda, Roald Dahl

"When Mr Bilbo Baggins announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventyfirst birthday  with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton." - Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." - Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier

What's on your list?


10 comments:

  1. I put the end of I Capture the Castle on my list, but of course the beginning is just as memorable! You have several of my favorites on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brill list. I love the start of The Raven Boys too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! That last line is amazing! So much HP nostalgia.

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! We share a few ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list is fantastic! Makes me want to read them all again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to get my hands on The Book Thief. It gets such great reviews. Nice List. Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the way you organized this list! Awesome quotes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list, I love The Book Thief and Alice in Wonderland as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funnily enough, The Great Gatsby would be on my list, but for the beginning, not the end. :D And agh God, I love the opening to Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design