Tuesday 16 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #15

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is -

Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

Because I love you all so much you get two Top Ten lists from me this week! TTT #14 (Movie Adaptations) was scheduled to go up whilst I was away but for some reason it decided to revert back to a draft version. Rather than let it go to waste it's a double whammy Top Ten week :) Having said that, I had no idea who to choose for this because I'm sure there are authors that are hugely popular in the US but not many will have heard of them over here and vice versa. I decided to go with authors that I don't see mentioned on blogs every day of the week and that are particular favorites of mine! Maybe I just haven't met anybody with the same taste in books/authors as me!

Court of the Midnight King - Freda Warrington
The Firebird - Susanna Kearsley

Dark Sister - Graham Joyce

Prospero's Children - Jan Siegel

The Splendor Falls - Rosemary Clement-Moore

 Everybody should read Freda Warrington, she writes such beautiful books. I first came across her when someone gave me a copy of Dark Cathedral which I loved and then promptly spent months chasing down a copy of the sequel, Pagan Moon, out of print and costing a small fortune but well worth it. Titan Books are actually in the process of reprinting her Blood Wine series, A Taste of Blood Wine is out now and I believe A Dance In Blood Velvet is coming later this year. I'm also sure I read somewhere that Freda herself is making some of her out-of-print books available as e-books at some point so that's good news for everyone.

I first read Graham Joyce when I found Dark Sister in Waterstones in Manchester over 15 years ago and fell in love with his writing. Since then I've devoured everything he's written except the latest book, Year of the Ladybird.

I found Prospero's Children when I was working as a bookseller for the now defunct Ottakars, it was a gorgeous hardcover so of course I had to buy it. I loved it and the two sequels, The Dragon Charmer and Witch's Honour (or The Witch Queen in the US) but was sad to discover she never wrote anything else under that name - until now! The Devil's Apprentice is coming out on September 24th so that will be on my list of books I'm allowed to buy. She also writes under her real name Amanda Hemingway, the Sangreal Trilogy was fantastic so go and read the first one, The Greenstone Grail, now!

So, a rather pathetic five authors on my list! I'm sure I will think of more once I see other people's list so may well add to this list at some point.





1 comment:

  1. The Firebird seems familiar. I'm going to have to look it up.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design