Tuesday 23 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #16


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is -

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT Pick Up A Book

Another tough one for me, I spent ages thinking about this one and I'm not sure there's many things that would completely stop me from reading a book. I might start something thinking I don't think I'll like this because it's about 'xxx' but I don't force myself to finish it!

Anyway, here's my list.

If You Loved 'xxxxx' You'll Love 'xxxxx' or For Fans of 'xxxxx'

This drives me nuts, I don't want to read a book because someone thinks it's the same as something I've already read or not even liked!


Child Abuse

Why would you even want to read about child abuse unless you were involved in helping children in a real-life situation? Just too upsetting...



Sports

I get enough sport shoved at me every day, why would I want to read about it?

Religion

Everybody has the right to believe in whatever religion they choose to follow, I don't necessarily want to read about it though.

Love Triangles

Such an old plot device, surely we can find something else to throw a spanner in the works?

Politics

See Sports... My father rings me and will talk about politics for hours, I definitely don't want to read about it!

New Adult

I'm not against it as such but the phrase just irritates me! I also find it hard to believe that people don't have sex before they go to college...

Celebrity Authors

Oooh, I'm a celebrity. That means I must write a book. Just no...

Where are all the stand-alone novels?

I would love to read more than just a handful of books that don't comprise of 99 books in the series. I would like to be able to pick up a book, read it, finish it and say 'What a great book, I loved the ending!' I am completely guilty though of reading books that seem to be in a series, I wish I wasn't. There are also plenty of series out there that should have ended sooner but have been stretched to four, five, six or more books.


Cancer

Last year I read The Fault In Our Stars and loved it, it made me cry but I loved it. Then my wonderful mama died and I can't even stand to see the word in a book.



What's on your list?




2 comments:

  1. Cancer books top my list and New Adult ended it. I keep seeing love triangles on lists and that has reminded me how annoying they are! I have a love/hate relationship with series. I love the comfort and familiarity, but I hate when they drag on too long. http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Ba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the standalones. They are so hard to find. It always a series or companion novels. Sometimes I just want to read one book and not have to wait a year for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design