Tuesday 23 April 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #4

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is

Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did

This is a tough one! My Top 10 is a mixture of both, books I thought I'd like more and books I thought I wouldn't like! We'll start with books I thought I would love but sadly didn't.

Matched - Ally Condie
I thought I would love this but sadly it's one of a handful of books I really struggled to finish, I disliked it enough to never pick up Crossed and Reached which is unusual for me. Even if I didn't get on with the first book in a series I do pick up the next one in case it's better!

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
My sister and I were reading this one at the same time. All the way through we compared notes and constantly asked what the appeal was because neither of us were seeing it! The ending ensured its place on my 'never recommend to anyone' list, sadly the book was a huge letdown for me.

Unspoken - Sarah Rees Brennan
I wanted to love this, the plot sounded like something I would love but I never connected with the book at all and the ending just cemented that feeling. Still not sure if I'll pick up the next one or not...
 
Betrayed - P C & Kristin Cast
I read Marked and liked it so I bought Betrayed when it came out, unfortunately I didn't like Betrayed but for some bizarre reason I still bought every other book in the series when they were released and struggled reading through to book #5! These are all on my 'donate to the library' pile which makes me sad, I don't like not liking books :(

Eragon - Christopher Paolini
Not much to say except that I really didn't like Eragon even though I love dragons and I've never been the slightest bit tempted to even buy/borrow the rest of the series!

5 books that I thought wouldn't appeal but did are -

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
 I didn't read this because I just thought it was yet another YA author jumping on the vampire bandwagon. Every time I went to the library it was there and I just walked past it every time! Fast forward two years after it's published, I finally give in and take a copy home - and loved it!

Blood Red Road - Moira Young
 I picked this up by accident when I was looking for something else but I'm so glad I did! I hadn't heard much about it at the time but I remember thinking it didn't seem like my cup of tea. How wrong I was! I loved it, shamefully I've still never read Rebel Heart...

The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender
 My librarian friend recommended this to me by saying it was the weirdest book she'd read and I would love it. I started it and thought I really wasn't going to like it but by the end? She was right, it was fantastic!

The First Last Kiss - Ali Harris
 I don't really read 'chick-lit' unless I want to switch my brain of and read something that requires no concentration. This one though, well definitely not 'chick-lit' as I was sobbing my eyes out by the end. Maybe it was too soon to read a book like this but it was heartbreaking and I loved it.

The Knife Of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
Not much to say about this one except that if I didn't absolutely adore it I definitely wouldn't be handing out copies of this later on today for World Book Night! Thanks to the bookish friend who forced me to read it I've discovered another favorite author.

8 comments:

  1. Betrayed was so so disappointing. I abandoned the series after that one.

    TTT at Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got Vampire Academy (I already had the other books :p) so I can finally get started. I hear nothing but good things about it.

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got The Knife of Never Letting Go thanks to another bloggers push. I can't wait to read it.

    New follower!

    CeCe @ Steaming Mug of Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on Matched. It's on my disappointed list I found it beyond dull and will never read the sequels. I adored Gone Girl, though, and have it on my list, too, for books I liked more than expected. lol.
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you say you loved Knife of Never Letting Go so much that you wanted to pass it out tonight, then I'm off to add it to my wishlist! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second I saw Eragon on your list I nodded very seriously and wondered why I didn't add it to my list! Shouldn't a series about dragons have been cooler?

    Anyways, I loved Vampire Academy as well (Richelle Mead is amazing! Have you read her Succubus series? It's a favorite of mine!) I've had The Knife of Never Letting Go on my list for a while now... May have to get to it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no.. another person who didn't end up liking Matched... however everyone loves Vampire Academy and I can't WAIT to read it!!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about Eragon and was bummed that I felt that way. But...but...there's dragons! I so wanted to love it. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake has been on my TBR list for far to long - I really need to read it already!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design