Wednesday 30 August 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday #190 - The Crow Garden


Can't Wait Wednesday is a new weekly meme hosted here to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. Generally, they're books that have yet to be released as well. It's based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine
 
This week's choice is -


The Crow Garden - Alison Littlewood
ISBN - 9781786485250
Publisher - Quercus
Release date - October 5th, 2017

Susan Hill meets Alfred Hitchcock in Alison Littlewood's latest chiller: mad-doctor Nathaniel is obsessed with the beautiful Mrs Harleston - but is she truly delusional? Or is she hiding secrets that should never be uncovered...? 

Haunted by his father's suicide, Nathaniel Kerner walks away from the highly prestigious life of a consultant to become a mad-doctor. He takes up a position at Crakethorne Asylum, but the proprietor is more interested in phrenology and his growing collection of skulls than the patients' minds. Nathaniel's only interesting case is Mrs Victoria Harleston: her husband accuses her of hysteria and delusions - but she accuses him of hiding secrets far more terrible. Nathaniel is increasingly obsessed with Victoria, but when he has her mesmerised, there are unexpected results: Victoria starts hearing voices, the way she used to - her grandmother always claimed they came from beyond the grave - but it also unleashes her own powers of mesmerism and a desperate need to escape. 

Increasingly besotted, Nathaniel finds himself caught up in a world of seances and stage mesmerism in his bid to find Victoria and save her. But constantly hanging over him is this warning: that doctors are apt to catch the diseases with which they are surrounded - whether of the body or the mind.

Alison Littlewood has joined my list of favorite authors thanks to her previous five novels and some fantastic short stories. The Crow Garden sounds as beautifully creepy as usual so can't wait to get started on it, hopefully in time for my October Horror/Halloween shenanigans!

8 comments:

  1. I added this to my wishlist just last week. Doesn't it sounds great? Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I'm seeing this. Great choice this week.
    Here is my WOW 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seances and mesmerism, I'm there! This sounds really intriguing. I will have to look for this one. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! This sounds really good. I'm a big Hitchcock fan, so I will need to check this author out. Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before but it sounds great!! Happy reading!
    Here's my WoW/CWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just learned about this one from another blog! It sounds fantastic!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOAH! I'd not heard of this book! What a cool cover! The synopsis sounds good too. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Fi. =)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good! I love stories that revolve around insane asylums. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design