Thursday 12 January 2017

Show Your Shelves Some Love Challenge 2017

I thought long and hard about reading challenges for 2017 and came to the conclusion that, for me anyway, they don't really work. I am going to try 1 challenge though and hope that #ShelfLove will work because it's my books that I need to read. The hundreds of books that seem to have multiplied and are in waist-high stacks around the house...

Because I want to read as many of my TBR books as possible I'm going steady with my shelves, with a target of 51+. I managed over 100 in 2016 so I'm really hoping that I can hit at least 125, half of my overall Goodreads target for this year. No pictures of my TBR because it's extremely embarrassing and in about 12 different places but this is my TBR list on Goodreads. And yes, that number really does say 1512. And it's not up to date either. This is why I need help!

I'm not banning myself from buying books this year but I'm going to try and be more selective in what I buy and where I buy from. I'm going to mainly try and stick to Waterstones, mostly because of their reward scheme! I'll use the points at the end of the year to have a book buying binge, or buy presents... If I'm feeling generous!

Goal:

To grow your TBR pile responsibly and read the books you already own. You have ‘em, now read ‘em!

Your Hosts:

This year’s hosts are the lovely gals over at ChapterBreak.net and Second Run Reviews.

Guidelines for the Shelf Love Challenge 2017

  • Read books that are in your personal library and obtained before January 1, 2017.
  • Responsibly obtain books for your personal library.
    • You may wish to abstain from purchasing books or set a book budget for yourself.
    • You decide the best way to get control of your TBR pile and read the books you already own.
  • Library books (and textbooks) do not count for the challenge. You may use your library to obtain different formats of books you already own and count those towards your goal.

Goals for the Shelf Love Challenge 2017

  • 1-10 books: shake hands with your shelves
  • 11-20 books: pat your shelves on the back
  • 21-30 books: give your shelves a warm friendly hug
  • 31-40 books: regular date night with your shelves
  • 41-50 books: my shelves are now my BFF
  • 51+ books: my shelves and I are going steady
Shelf Love Discussions
  1. December 2016/January 2017: I’m joining in the #ShelfLove Challenge! Tell us your goals for the challenge this year. Will you be going on an all out book buying ban or are you setting a budget? Share pictures of your TBR piles or link up to your GoodReads Shelves. See above!
  2. March/April 2017: Top books that have been on your shelf the longest that you haven’t read
  3. June/July 2017: Mid-year check in post. How are you doing with the challenge? Look back at your January post and let us know how you are doing. Share an updated picture or list of your TBR pile.
  4. September/October 2017: Top Books/Genres You are Addicted To
  5. December 2017/January 2018: End of the Year Check in Post. Look back at your June and January posts and let us know how you did this year. Share an updated picture or list of your TBR pile. Would you do the challenge again in 2018?

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great challenge to do if it's the only one. Perhaps I should gave done the same... time will tell. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen variations of this challenge around, and I love the idea of reading books you already own. For me personally, I just can't seem to stop reading review books, and I don't know how to balance myself, so I feel like I could never be successful at this challenge. But good luck, I hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Shelf Love :) Woot 51+ great goal!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design